NEW RESNET CERTIFICATION IN INFRARED THERMOGRAPHY
Edited in Augist 30, 2022
Last week, RESNET and the American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) entered into a Memorandum of Understanding that will ultimately lead to certified RESNET HERS Raters becoming certified to conduct infrared thermography for residential buildings.
What is Infrared Thermography?
Infrared Thermography is the detection of infrared energy emitted from an object. What this means is that the technology allows you to “see” heat energy that is at an energy wavelength below what the human eye can normally see, giving you a “visual” of the heat energy. When you can “see” the heat and measure the temperature, you can detect where energy is being lost and where energy efficiency gains can be made.
How Does Infrared Thermography Help Energy Auditors and Raters?
This certification is a boon to HERS Raters, because testing is non-invasive and non-destructive, and it can help a Rater find missing insulation, air leaks, water problems and electrical hot spots early, before they become serious and costly issues.
The Memorandum of Understanding will provide for the following:
- Working cooperatively with RESNET, ANST will develop an ASNT Level II certification in Infrared Thermography for Building Diagnostics
- RESNET will require that HERS Raters must hold the ASNT NDT Level II certification in order to conduct the testing under the RESNET guidelines
RESNET has adopted interim guidelines for the thermographic inspection of buildings. These guidelines:
- Outline the path to certification for those who wish to be certified in infrared thermography for building diagnostics
- Provide guidance in using infrared thermography for air intrusion and insulation inspections
- Provide a substitute for Grade II and Grade III insulation inspection on a new building where viewing of the insulation installation was not completed prior to the installation of drywall
The American Society for Nondestructive Testing is the world’s largest technical society for nondestructive testing professionals, and RESNET is excited to partner with the ASNT to offer this certification to its HERS Raters.
In order for RESNET HERS Raters to undertake thermographic inspections, RESNET requires that Raters must:
- Be trained in accordance with ASNT SNT-TC-1A, and ASNT CP-105.
- Pass the ASNT Level II certification exam in Infrared Thermography for Building Diagnostics
This advanced testing leads to more thorough and efficient home energy ratings and audits, making this certification an asset to all Home Energy Raters and Auditors.