DOE Weatherization Crew Chief
- Course Outline
Role of the Crew Chief
- Understand the many responsibilities of the crew chief.
- Identify who the crew chief interacts and communicates with.
- Learn about expectations of the crew chief in order for weatherization to be successful.
Motivational Communication Leadership Skills
- Recognize that good teaching is a critical part of effective crew management.
- Be exposed to basic adult learning principles that will make them better teachers.
- Become familiar with some teaching guidelines to help the crew learn quickly and retain the knowledge.
Effective Crew Management
- Learn the basic leadership skills needed to effectively manage a crew.
- Recognize the steps in problem solving and the importance of problem-solving skills.
- Practice scheduling workdays for effective use of time and resources.
- Learn tips for motivating a crew to work effectively as a team, and enjoy doing it.
Equipment Tracking and Maintenance
- Understand the importance of keeping track of tools and equipment.
- Understand the importance of equipment maintenance and its effect on production.
- Know how to involve crew members in tool maintenance and accountability.
- Understand the role of the crew chief in keeping track of materials.
- Understand how a perpetual inventory system works.
- Become aware of the relationships between the crew chief and other weatherization staff in maintaining material accountability.
- Learn various methods for assuring material accountability.
- Learn methods of efficient warehouse design and organization.
- Become aware of effective truck and trailer storage options.
- Understand the criteria and cost benefits of purchasing in bulk vs. ordering small quantities.
- Understand order points in relation to job scheduling.
Building and Safety Codes
- Learn about codes and rules affecting weatherization activities.
- Learn about practical solutions to code and rule-related issues.
Maintaining Quality Control
- Understand that quality control (QC) is a systematic process.
- Be aware of work site QC methods.
- Be introduced to basic QC equipment.
- Be exposed to basic adult learning theory.
- Discuss one-on-one training scenarios.
- Practice group problem solving.
Safe Work Practices
- Understand basic workplace safety requirements.
- Learn simple workplace safety management methods.
Understanding a Work Order
- Become familiar with basic work order components.
- Learn simple materials procurement methods.
- Understand how to correct work order errors and oversights – Discuss methods to cope with site discovered problems.
- Practice planning job flow.
<< BACK to DOE Weatherization Crew Chief Course Page