DOE Weatherization Installer,
Part 2 - Intermediate
Aligning Pressure and Thermal Boundaries
- Understand the difference between thermal and air barriers.
- Know the proper location of thermal and air barriers.
- Recognize common locations and signals of gaps in pressure and thermal barriers, and know how to repair these gaps.
- Recognize typical construction details that lead to gaps in pressure and thermal boundaries and know how to treat them.
- Understand treatment options for walk-up attics.
- Recognize use of blower door pressure diagnostics to locate and evaluate air boundary.
Air Sealing and Attic Prep
- Understand basic principles of air leakage.
- Recognize typical air leakage sites in attics.
- Be familiar with the various tools and materials used in air sealing and attic preparation.
- Understand high-temperature issues and how to treat them.
- Understand safety concerns related to wiring.
- Know how to prepare an attic for air sealing and insulation.
Spray Foam Insulation
- Understand the use of spray foam in weatherization.
- Identify foam product options and their uses.
- Become aware of advantages and limitations of different spray foam products.
- Understand the need for proper ventilation and personal protection equipment.
- Understand the importance of maintaining healthy IAQ and combustion air, and the role of mechanical ventilation.
- Recognize that leaving homes leaky is not proper ventilation.
- Recognize and be familiar with appropriate ASHRAE guidelines.
- Understand how to calculate building volume.
- Understand static pressure and how to account for it when sizing fans.
- Be able to name guidelines of proper duct installation.
- Learn the importance of following cost-effectiveness guidelines when insulating attics.
- Recognize that proper attic treatment can save up to 20% of home heating and cooling bills.
- Understand that, combined with air sealing, attic insulation reduces the likelihood of structural damage due to condensation on the roof deck.
- Learn the process for insulating attics with blown-in cellulose.
Dense-Pack Sidewall Insulation
- Learn the importance of achieving uniform density at the targeted R-value throughout the cavity.
- Become familiar with typical tools for the job, including safety equipment.
- Become familiar with basic equipment maintenance protocols.
- Learn the proper order of operations for blowing in dense-pack sidewall insulation.
- Learn guidelines for dryer vent installation.
- Become familiar with proper vent materials and connections.
- Learn the importance of proper materials and installation as related to moisture and fire hazards.
- Understand guidelines for exterior exhaust hoods.
Basements and Crawl Spaces
- Identify various foundation types.
- Understand basement and crawl space moisture dynamics.
- Learn criteria for placement of thermal and pressure boundaries.
- Become aware of basement and crawl space retrofit options.
- Identify techniques for basement and crawl space retrofits.
- Identify diagnostic procedures associated with weatherizing basements and crawl spaces.
Windows and Doors
- Gain an understanding of window terminology.
- Understand how windows lose and gain heat.
- Become aware of the savings-to-investment ratio for window and door replacement compared to other building shell retrofits.
- Identify various methods and materials for window and door treatments.
- Understand recommended window and door replacement criteria.
- Identify methods and techniques for replacing windows and doors.
<< Back to DOE Weatherization Course Main Page