Frequently Asked Questions

What's the first step to becoming a home energy survey professional?

If you want to conduct basic walk-through home performance surveys of existing homes, take the RESNET Home Energy Survey Professional (HESP) Certification Course Package.


With HESP Certification, may I perform diagnostic testing (blower door, IR camera, etc.) as part of my survey?

A Home Energy Survey Professional (HESP) is certified to do basic walk-through energy surveys. To do diagnostic testing, you need RESNET HERS Rater Certification or BPI Building Analyst Certification.


Why do I Need RESNET Certification?

The Residential Energy Services Network, known as RESNET, is the organization that sets the national standards to certify building energy performance. They're recognized by the mortgage industry, the Department of Energy and the Environmental Protection Agency. In other words, to have any measure of credibility in the field of energy audits and related home improvements, you'll have to follow their standards of performance. And the government incentives available to your clients will hinge on your being credentialed. Green Training USA has a full menu of RESNET accredited certification courses to get you started.


What if I want to become certified as a BPI Building Analyst?

To qualify as a BPI Building Analyst, you must first successfully complete the Building Performance Institute (BPI) Building Analyst Exam. The best way to prepare for this exam is with our BPI Building Analyst Training & Certification Package.


What if I want to provide HERS Ratings on new homes?

To provide HERS Ratings, you will need to take the RESNET HERS Rater Certification Training, pass the intensive RESNET Rater Certification Exam and sign up with a Rater Provider.

For More Information Call 1-800-518-1877