Commercial Energy Auditor Training
- Course Outline
Module 1: Introduction - Basics of Energy
- Where energy comes from
- How it gets to the business
- AC vs. DC power
- What is a Watt
Reducing watts by a few percentages can result in significant dollar savings for your clients
Module 2: Building Envelope
- How to understand heat transfer
- How energy bills can tell you how to tight your building envelope is
- All about insulation - the different types, uses and the R-Value
Aluminum transfers heat at over 900 times the rate of wood. Reducing the thermal bridge in a building can save owners hundreds of dollars in heating and cooling costs
Module 3: Lighting
- The different types of lighting (CFLs, LEDs, tube fluorescents, HID, and more)
- How to quantify exactly how much it costs to run a lamp
- How to significantly lower energy bills
Lighting can account for almost 60% of energy use of some facilities. With simple lighting changes you can potentially save business owners 10% or more a year!
Module 4: Energy Bills
- How to read electric and gas bills
- Why Demand Charges add large costs to the energy bill - and how to eliminate them
- Various electric rate schedules that can save money
- How to read a meter
Reducing Demand Charges on a small facility can save them almost $150 a month, or $1,800 a year!
Module 5: Heating and Cooling
- Fundamentals of heat
- Different types of heat
- Different types of cool
- How to determine the conditioning units
Increasing the SEER rating of an air conditioning system from 8 to 14 can reduce the operating cost from about $130 per ton of cooling, to about $74 per ton. For a savings of $56 per ton
Module 6: Machines and Motors
- How to calculate Watts, Volts, Amps
- How to distinguish between nameplate and actual rating
- Why efficiency ratings can save your client thousands of dollars a year.
- Variable speed drives and why they are critical to energy efficiency.
Changing a motor from 24 hp to 15 hp can result in savings of over $3,400 a year.
Module 7: Economics of Energy
- Saving energy does not always mean saving money
- Simple payback method, Life-Cycle costs, Time Value of Money, compound interest, uniform series cash flow
- How to calculate the Return on Investment and determine Future Value of a project.
Motor A may cost $200 less than Motor B but when you do a Life-Cycle cost, Motor A actually costs $1,500 more than Motor B - a savings you can see!
Module 8: Basics of Contracts
- What makes a contract a Contract
- The Basics of reading/writing a contract
- What constitutes a Breach and how it is determined.
You actually enter into contracts every day, learn what they are and how you can understand them.
Module 9: Making Money
- How to make money doing energy audits
- The Pro’s and Con’s of two major methods for charging for your services
- Strategic negotiating points that will ensure you close the deal.
A $5,000 investment in the bank would increase $3,145 in 10 years. A $5,000 investment in energy efficiency could turn into $55,100 in 10 years! Educating your client is key to your success.
Module 10: Incorporating & Insurance
- Which company structure is best for you, LLC, S Corp, Partnership
- The advantages and disadvantages of each corporation structure
- The basic types of insurance available and how they apply to energy auditing.
Get virtually the same protections as the Blue Chip companies for a fraction of the cost without the restrictive procedural requirements.
Module 11: Immersion Module
- To turn a 20 minute lunch appointment into serious money in your pocket
- To identify easy low hanging fruit that can make energy savings easy to do and very lucrative.
If you do nothing but focus on “low-hanging-fruit”, you can make a great living saving energy. This example shows how you can save a restaurant over $1,000 a year by making some simple changes
I have taken the RESNET Level I and II Home Energy Survey Professional and the BPI Building Analyst I Training with Dallas Jones of Green Training USA. My training experience was exceptional. Dallas brings both his knowledge of home energy and his field experience into the classroom and presents it in an organized, easy to follow manner. The field demonstrations of the diagnostic equipment and techniques presented by Dallas provided me with a wealth of knowledge. I would highly recommend Dallas Jones and Green Training USA to anyone who is considering training in the home energy field.Ryan Hinch
Energy Raters of East Texas, LLC.
Great Class! Great Instructor! Top Notch! I’ve gone through a lot of classes in my 20 plus years; yours is among the best.Gordon Fox
Fox Inspection Group
I thought the training was thorough and well taught. I do not believe I could have passed the exam without such a good course. I would recommend this course for anyone starting out in the Energy Audit field.Terry Wigfield
Green Training USA provided me with the basic knowledge and hands-on skills to start doing home energy audits immediately. The instructor was focused on the required training content and was also very responsive to questions from the participants. He was able to answer both practical and technical questions and blend them into the general discussion. The test preparation materials were very good and I had no problem passing the RESNET Level II Exam. Overall I am very happy with the course and the results.Steve Gorman
Mason-Dixon Home Inspection Services
I would like to salute Green Training USA on the excellent quality of your BPI training course. The instructor, Dallas Jones, was very knowledgeable on the subject matter and presented the material in an efficient and interesting manner. The course materials were professionally prepared and very helpful. I look forward to working with Green Training USA in the future and I will attend future training programs.Bob Blanchfield
Building Inspection Service
Since Todd’s staff took Green Training USA's training and become BPI and RESNET certified, we have experienced an increase in pride in ourselves and our customers. Our BPI and RESNET certified technicians carry and share their expertise proudly. Our customers trust that expertise and easily welcome our “experts” into their homes. We have had local news recognize us as the experts, also. It is extremely rewarding as our customers call us after completing the work in their homes to thank us for finally being comfortable. The word is spreading fast that we are the experts in comfort. On top of all of this we are experiencing a growing customer base and revenue. Becoming BPI and RESNET certified and partnering with Home Energy Team was, by far, the best business decision we could have made. Now we are not just a “heating & cooling company,” but we are becoming known as the “Experts in Home Comfort".Michael Murphysweet
Todds Heating and Cooling
By taking the BPI Building Analyst and BPI Envelope Combined Course through Green Training USA, I was able to save money on the course and exam fees. And, since I completed their self-paced online study prior to taking their hands-on site training, I was only away from my business for a few days. Now I’m going to get both certifications sooner and be eligible for more government/utility programs a lot earlier than if I had taken the classes separately. Many thanks to the team at Green Training USA.Matt Sera
Atlas Home Energy Solutions