DOE Weatherization Installer,
Part 2 - Intermediate
Aligning Pressure and Thermal Boundaries
- Understand the difference between thermal and air barriers.
- Know the proper location of thermal and air barriers.
- Recognize common locations and signals of gaps in pressure and thermal barriers, and know how to repair these gaps.
- Recognize typical construction details that lead to gaps in pressure and thermal boundaries and know how to treat them.
- Understand treatment options for walk-up attics.
- Recognize use of blower door pressure diagnostics to locate and evaluate air boundary.
Air Sealing and Attic Prep
- Understand basic principles of air leakage.
- Recognize typical air leakage sites in attics.
- Be familiar with the various tools and materials used in air sealing and attic preparation.
- Understand high-temperature issues and how to treat them.
- Understand safety concerns related to wiring.
- Know how to prepare an attic for air sealing and insulation.
Spray Foam Insulation
- Understand the use of spray foam in weatherization.
- Identify foam product options and their uses.
- Become aware of advantages and limitations of different spray foam products.
- Understand the need for proper ventilation and personal protection equipment.
- Understand the importance of maintaining healthy IAQ and combustion air, and the role of mechanical ventilation.
- Recognize that leaving homes leaky is not proper ventilation.
- Recognize and be familiar with appropriate ASHRAE guidelines.
- Understand how to calculate building volume.
- Understand static pressure and how to account for it when sizing fans.
- Be able to name guidelines of proper duct installation.
- Learn the importance of following cost-effectiveness guidelines when insulating attics.
- Recognize that proper attic treatment can save up to 20% of home heating and cooling bills.
- Understand that, combined with air sealing, attic insulation reduces the likelihood of structural damage due to condensation on the roof deck.
- Learn the process for insulating attics with blown-in cellulose.
Dense-Pack Sidewall Insulation
- Learn the importance of achieving uniform density at the targeted R-value throughout the cavity.
- Become familiar with typical tools for the job, including safety equipment.
- Become familiar with basic equipment maintenance protocols.
- Learn the proper order of operations for blowing in dense-pack sidewall insulation.
- Learn guidelines for dryer vent installation.
- Become familiar with proper vent materials and connections.
- Learn the importance of proper materials and installation as related to moisture and fire hazards.
- Understand guidelines for exterior exhaust hoods.
Basements and Crawl Spaces
- Identify various foundation types.
- Understand basement and crawl space moisture dynamics.
- Learn criteria for placement of thermal and pressure boundaries.
- Become aware of basement and crawl space retrofit options.
- Identify techniques for basement and crawl space retrofits.
- Identify diagnostic procedures associated with weatherizing basements and crawl spaces.
Windows and Doors
- Gain an understanding of window terminology.
- Understand how windows lose and gain heat.
- Become aware of the savings-to-investment ratio for window and door replacement compared to other building shell retrofits.
- Identify various methods and materials for window and door treatments.
- Understand recommended window and door replacement criteria.
- Identify methods and techniques for replacing windows and doors.
I have taken the RESNET Level I and II Home Energy Survey Professional and the BPI Building Analyst I Training with Dallas Jones of Green Training USA. My training experience was exceptional. Dallas brings both his knowledge of home energy and his field experience into the classroom and presents it in an organized, easy to follow manner. The field demonstrations of the diagnostic equipment and techniques presented by Dallas provided me with a wealth of knowledge. I would highly recommend Dallas Jones and Green Training USA to anyone who is considering training in the home energy field.Ryan Hinch
Energy Raters of East Texas, LLC.
Great Class! Great Instructor! Top Notch! I’ve gone through a lot of classes in my 20 plus years; yours is among the best.Gordon Fox
Fox Inspection Group
I thought the training was thorough and well taught. I do not believe I could have passed the exam without such a good course. I would recommend this course for anyone starting out in the Energy Audit field.Terry Wigfield
Green Training USA provided me with the basic knowledge and hands-on skills to start doing home energy audits immediately. The instructor was focused on the required training content and was also very responsive to questions from the participants. He was able to answer both practical and technical questions and blend them into the general discussion. The test preparation materials were very good and I had no problem passing the RESNET Level II Exam. Overall I am very happy with the course and the results.Steve Gorman
Mason-Dixon Home Inspection Services
I would like to salute Green Training USA on the excellent quality of your BPI training course. The instructor, Dallas Jones, was very knowledgeable on the subject matter and presented the material in an efficient and interesting manner. The course materials were professionally prepared and very helpful. I look forward to working with Green Training USA in the future and I will attend future training programs.Bob Blanchfield
Building Inspection Service
Since Todd’s staff took Green Training USA's training and become BPI and RESNET certified, we have experienced an increase in pride in ourselves and our customers. Our BPI and RESNET certified technicians carry and share their expertise proudly. Our customers trust that expertise and easily welcome our “experts” into their homes. We have had local news recognize us as the experts, also. It is extremely rewarding as our customers call us after completing the work in their homes to thank us for finally being comfortable. The word is spreading fast that we are the experts in comfort. On top of all of this we are experiencing a growing customer base and revenue. Becoming BPI and RESNET certified and partnering with Home Energy Team was, by far, the best business decision we could have made. Now we are not just a “heating & cooling company,” but we are becoming known as the “Experts in Home Comfort".Michael Murphysweet
Todds Heating and Cooling
By taking the BPI Building Analyst and BPI Envelope Combined Course through Green Training USA, I was able to save money on the course and exam fees. And, since I completed their self-paced online study prior to taking their hands-on site training, I was only away from my business for a few days. Now I’m going to get both certifications sooner and be eligible for more government/utility programs a lot earlier than if I had taken the classes separately. Many thanks to the team at Green Training USA.Matt Sera
Atlas Home Energy Solutions
Request a FREE
or submit this form...
We’ll beat any advertised price
Save Time & Money
with online training
Learn Now, Pay Later
Home Performance Business Tools
- Energy Audit Software
- Job Pricing Calculator
- Project Management Portal
90-Day FREE Trial
Become a Training Reseller